We’ve made design changes to the GOV.UK homepage to improve its accessibility and make it a better user experience for the millions of people that visit it every week.
Mia Allers, Senior Graphic Designer at GDS
Learn why and how we updated the GOV.UK sitewide menu bar.
We updated an accordion component to be more accessible and here’s how we did it.
GOV.UK is a large and complex website that uses a range of different layouts and design elements. We've been improving the site's user experience by tackling design debt and building a universal navigation system.
Users can struggle to find what they need when they navigate through GOV.UK. Topic pages will help them find what they're looking for more easily.
Related content and links
A blog about running and improving the GOV.UK website, for anyone who is working on GOV.UK or interested in how the digital home of the UK government works. Written by the GOV.UK Team
Standards and guidelines
- A bold new look for the GOV.UK homepage 1 November 2023
- Undertaking GOV.UK's largest software infrastructure project 20 September 2023
- How we developed GOV.UK’s strategy for growth 24 August 2023
- Making it easier to add images on GOV.UK 10 August 2023
- Updating GOV.UK when there is a machinery of government change 15 June 2023